Friday, June 25, 2010

The Vision of a Child

Mark 9:35-37 And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all. And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them, Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.

Luke 18:16-17 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.



Beginning on January 15,1945 and for the next 27 years on both radio and television, Art Linkletter reminded us that kids have a unique perspective on things (One that would be good for us to adopt many times). Kids have a unique ability to cut through the hype and fancy layers and get to the root of the issue.

Yesterday, while playing with my kids (Andrew and Renee) my son presented me with just such a moment. He and Renee were drawing with chalk on the patio and called me to come look at what they had produced. Looking at my son's drawings, I guessed at what they were but got it wrong. My son informed me that it was "sad balloons". Jackie and I asked him why they were sad and he replied that they were sad "because no one had told them about Jesus yet".

Even though the theology might be a little off (balloons being saved), I'm glad the message has resonated in his heart that without Christ there is and can be no joy. We teach them Bible verses and sing Bible songs about joy only coming through a relationship with Christ. How precious and innocent a statement.

I believe that we, too, would benefit from such a viewpoint. Without Christ, there can be no peace or joy. This doesn't only apply to salvation and eternal peace, but also to our daily walk with God. If we, as believers, attempt to live as if God is not Lord in our lives, the best we can hope for is unhappiness.

Thank God for a simple child-like faith and an equally simple point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment